Did you know the European Red Fox ( Vulpes vulpes) is a completely different species than the North American Red Fox (Vulpes fulva)? Are you between the ages of 16 – 26 and interested in learning more about them? Join photographers Amy Shutt of The Canid Project and Karine Aigner of Kids Conservation Photography Workshops July 19-29, 2019 for a unique youth conservation photography storytelling workshop focused on the lives of urban and suburban British Red Foxes (Vulpes vulpes crucigera). From fairy tales to folklore, fox hunts to the urban wildlife predator conflict, the British Red Fox remains an important character in the history of the United Kingdom. For those about the species, get an up close and personal look into some of the issues surrounding it, meet some of the people who fight to save it, and those who are not so fond of it. We will take six students into the field with a fox rescue organization, working in real situations with rescuers, rehabbers, fosters, fox enthusiasts and haters. In nine days on the ground, you will conceive, shoot and edit together an individual photo project to be presented to your peers. Part of the proceeds from this workshop goes directly to The Fox Project UK and The Canid Project.
WORKING ITINERARY for July 19-29, 2019 Workshop:
You will receive a detailed itinerary which includes airport and lodging information once your deposit has been paid, but please see these exciting points below that make up this unique conservation storytelling workshop. Please feel free to email with any questions: firstname.lastname@example.org Lodging is included for the nights of July 19-29, 2019.
- July 19: Arrive in London and make your way to our lodging location
- July 21-28: Nine full days of in-the-field shooting, presentations, editing, reviews, and final project presentation
- July 29: Head back to London to catch your flight
- The natural history of the Red Fox in the countryside and the urban UK
- Techniques and realities of working in a real live working situation
- How to think about and conceive a story idea
- The culture of FOX in the UK
- Making a cohesive edit
- Working alongside other photographers
- What happens ‘after the edit’
- Narrative vs. story
- We will devote time to set up a camera trap and leave it out over the course of the workshop on the farm where we will be staying!
REQUIRED EQUIPMENT:If you do not own any of the equipment below you can rent from several rental facilities. Karine uses borrowlenses.com and Amy uses and recommends Lens Pro To Go (clients receive a 10% discount for LensProToGo as well). Email Amy or Karine if you are unsure if your gear will work for this workshop: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org and they’ll let you know! 🙂
- DSLR or mirrorless camera that does well at high ISOs
- Telephoto lens, like a 100-400mm
- A shorter long lens, like a 70-200mm
- A wide angle, 14mm to 50mm
- Travel insurance is highly recommended
- Comfortable clothing and shoes appropriate for the weather
- Bug spray is a good idea!
- Headlamps and or flashlight for night scouting
- Laptop, external hard drive, and photo editing and processing software (Photoshop or Lightroom).
- Camera trap equipment if you have your own
- Price: $3986.00 USD (includes all photographic instruction from two photo leaders, presentations, access to the Fox Project, and lodging for 10 nights plus transportation for workshop participants during the workshop.
- A non-refundable deposit of $750.00 USD
- Balance is due on May 5, 2019
- 6 students maximum
- Price includes lodging for the 10 nights from July 19 – July 29, 2019
- Transportation is provided for participants during the workshop (but transport to the workshop location is NOT).
- The workshop price does not include flights to and from London, travel insurance or meals. We recommend using Pinkberrycars.com for your journey from London to our lodging (approx. 1.5 hours away. Coordinating with other participants is recommended).
- It’s a good idea to have travel insurance in case something goes wrong or you need to cancel your trip. Amy and Karine love World Nomads travel insurance.
- Once your deposit is paid you will receive a full itinerary with detailed information about the workshop and lodging.